wa day's life in kl


Feeling mood at the moment.

About ryuu

28 this year (2007)

Current location: Kuala Lumpur

Currently reading

Your Money or Your Life

Currently listening to

s@lsa songs
Iowa's 107.5 FM

Wish list

click here (amazon wish list)



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.




wFavourite blogs

mysterious world

brown paper packages

minishorts

La Vie Est Belle

hilmy

beng (never update)

xes

sui lin

No Hassle (MIA)

graceshu (MIA)

snoflek

bluek

yu san

loopymeals

gina

michaelooi

oliviasy

viewtru

winterblossom

burntmuffins

dabido




wLinkroll:




This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?
wSaturday, December 09, 2006


December 2006 - financials

It has been a stormy month. I'm back in KL!

Why stormy month?

A lot of things have been happening since I got back. But again, there's much more action here than in the states for me anyway - ha!

Financial wise, USD dropped sharply - and since the bulk of my assets are in USD, I'm pretty much screwed there. A rough calculation shows that within the past week, I lost RM 1.4k. Within the past 6 months, maybe around RM 3k. GAH.

Other than that, I screwed up in some estimations, and ended up losing money there. I thought I had enough in my US bank, and made some withdrawals just before going to HK. I miscalculated and withdrew around $30 more than what I had in the balance, and when I checked my statements I saw that I was charged $34 for overdraft. Imagine that, $34 for a $30 overdraft! Fark..... ($34 ~ RM 120)

And I overspent in the month of November :(

The good news for this month is, first, I've switched to using Quicken instead of using Excel to keep track of my spendings (and other financial information). Woo hoo! I love Quicken! It's so slick!

Okay, fanboi-ism aside, other news is that I've opened a PB checking and savings account, and I've applied for a new credit card(s). There's 2 of them for me to be qualified in the 6-transactions-per-card-free-yearly-fee, so that explains the (s). So if I make 6 transactions per card per year (12 transactions in all), I get to use the cards for free! And since I have so many bills to pay every month, that shouldn't be too tough a task to perform.

The PB account is for purchasing the Public Mutual stuffs. Since I'm socking them away in FDs away (which is what I'm doing now), I might as well just put them in bonds and equities. I'm not looking for interests nor gains, just a means for socking them away where I can't touch it. Itchy hands I have.

The additional credit card is for me to have leverage on my current credit card company. I've been a customer for 5 years, but recently I had a bad experience with them. This deserves a whole new post by itself, but the short version of the story is, I nearly cancelled my account with them, but I couldn't because I *had* to have a credit card. (Seriously, credit cards make your life so much easier). So, now that I have another credit card, I can always throw my card in the customer service's face whenever they piss me off. Woot!

And since it's December and a festive month, I gave myself an extra RM 500 to be spent (which means less money added to the networth %). The bad thing is, I think I'm overspending again, and it's only a quarter into the month! I only have RM 1.2k left to use! Lightning and thunder strikes in the background...

Anyway, all in all, with the currency fluctuation and overspending and all, my networth's inching +1% towards the goal, instead of +4%.

This sucks!


posted by ryuu at 11:53 AM